Monday, March 26, 2012

Lock pages in memory right on IA64 edition

I'm planing to install SQL2000 IA64 on Itanium server with win2003-IA64.
Not sure if I need to add "Lock pages in memory" right to SQL service
account or not. I know it must be used on x86 and is also recommended on x64
systems because they use AWE but on IA64 systems AWE is not used so I would
guess it's not necessary. Am I right?
Tom"Tom" <mcseman@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uFRSdkGOGHA.2036@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I'm planing to install SQL2000 IA64 on Itanium server with win2003-IA64.
> Not sure if I need to add "Lock pages in memory" right to SQL service
> account or not. I know it must be used on x86 and is also recommended on
> x64 systems because they use AWE but on IA64 systems AWE is not used so I
> would guess it's not necessary. Am I right?
>
No. My understanding is that "Lock pages in memory" is recommended on
64-bit SQL because it prevents the OS from paging out SQL Server memory
under pressure. Instead SQL Server will reduce its own memory usage when it
notices the system is under memory pressure.
David

No comments:

Post a Comment