Monday, March 26, 2012

Lock Question - Should I delete them all??

I have SQL Server 2000 and ASP.NET applications running. It was brought to my attention that some of my applications hitting one of my databases was Timing Out. After a little bit of troubleshooting, I found out it was due to some Locks that existed on my database. I have since then 'Killed Process' and everything seems to be working.

What I did was go to Enterprise Manager, picked the Server --> Management --> Current Activity --> Locks/Object and then found 2 IDs that needed to be killed.

Since then there aren't any hang-ups, but I have noticed under Locks/Objects there are many Process IDs in there. Is it good to Kill all of them? How dangerous is this? All of these processes have the following attributes:

Lock Type = DB
Mode = S
Status = GRANT
Ownder = Sess

I have read BOL and other literature, but can't seem to get the answer I am looking for. And who the heck is Sess?

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.Don't be worried about this lock, this lock is necessary and you should not kill this process. It is a required System process. The mode is 'S' which menas Shared this is not a strong lock and will not cause deadlocks, so don't worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment